Should I be resting or moving?
For the first 24 to 48 hours
- Try to rest your ankle but avoid long spells of not moving at all.
- Try to move your ankle gently for ten to twenty seconds every hour when you are awake.
After 48 hours
- You should try to use your leg more.
- Do whatever you normally would and stay at, or return to work. This is important and is the best way to get better.
- Avoid sports or heavy lifting until you have less discomfort and good movement.
- When going upstairs, reduce the strain on your ankle by leading with your good leg. If there is a handrail, use it.
- When going downstairs, reduce the strain on your ankle by leading with your problem leg. If there is a handrail, use it.
- Exercise really helps your ankle and can relieve pain.