Public holiday information
Because many surgeries and pharmacies are closed on public holidays, these can be a very busy days for us. But with a little help from you, we can make sure that we’re there for the people who need us most. People like the chronically ill, the elderly and those who care for young children may need our help urgently.
Help us be there for them by following these simple steps:
- Check if your local GP surgery will be closed in our find your local services section. If it is, make sure that you have enough medication to last until the surgery opens again.
- Make sure that you have everything you might need in your medicine cabinet or first aid kit. Your local community pharmacist will be happy to help you work out what you might need. They can also give you advice on over the counter remedies. You can search for your nearest pharmacy in our find your local services section.
- If you’re not sure what’s the best thing to do then check our Self Help Guide. Answer the simple, step by step, questions to work out the best course of action.
- Maybe you already know what’s wrong, or want to find out more about a health issue or illness. If so, the NHS inform Health A-Z may have the information you need. It’s packed with information about most medical conditions, including symptoms, health tests, treatments, operations and services.
- Need an over the counter remedy or you’ve forgotten to get your prescription? Don’t worry, some pharmacies are open on public holidays. You can search for your nearest pharmacy in our find your local services section.
- Of course, not everything can be dealt with so easily. If you do need medical help on a public holiday and cannot wait until your GP practice reopens, call us at NHS 24 on 111.
If you think you need an emergency ambulance you should call 999. Emergency services operate as normal on public holidays but you should only call them if it really is an emergency.
Remember that it’s always a good idea to keep a list of any medication you take, plus your doctor’s details handy, just in case you do need to call us.
Public holiday information for your area
Information on public holidays in other towns/cities around Scotland can be obtained from the following local authorities.
Where these authorities give details of the holidays on their site, these links will take you to them; if not, the link will take you to the home page which should give telephone or e-mail contacts.
Find out about our BSL services